BMX photographer – Sports photography sessions in Barcelona
In this new article I will talk about my experience as a BMX photographer , I will explain some of the sessions of this type of sport photography that I have mostly done in Barcelona and province. At the end of the article I will also explain basic tips to get better bmx photos for all those who start in this type of photography.
Today I want to talk about some of the sessions I have made as a BMX photographer, sports photography sessions that I am passionate about and that I do whenever I can, either in a photo shoot or because there is a competition of this type of sport, regardless of whether the competition is amateur or professional. I have been lucky enough to be able to make countless sessions of this type of sport photography .
Experience as a BMX photographer:
My experience as a BMX photographer is about two years, years in which I have made many photos of this sport with national and international riders of professional and amateur category. Taking into account the date of writing of this post and the experience that I comment, my experience as a BMX photographer began in 2009. Since then, my love for this sport as a photographer has only grown, that makes every time I can escape to make a BMX photo session, regardless of the level of the competition and without the need for a BMX competition to load as my team and take photos. Currently I have more than 25 sessions as a BMX photographer in my portfolio of sports photography, having photographed professional riders like Daniel Peñafiel alias Naran .
BMX event photos:
The two most important events that I have attended as a BMX photographer are the last two Extreme of Barcelona. The first one was the Movistar Barcelona Extreme Festival of 2010 and finally the LKXA Barcelona extreme Festival of 2011. Then you can see some amateur BMX competitions, they are also in my portfolio of BMX photography . And repeatedly I have gone out with the riders to do street BMX sessions. Just like skateboarding, the street BMX photography sessions fascinate me as we can prepare the rider and photographer session.
BMX riders photographed:
I think I have lost count of how many BMX riders I have photographed, surely if I made a list I would miss more than half, between competitions and spontaneous sessions always make extra photos, obviously in competitions you do not have many photos for many you do. Some of the riders that I have photographed and that I remember at this moment are:
- Daniel Peñafiel , alias Naran the best national rider of all time.
- Nil Soler at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival of 2011.
- Gabriel Mastragostino at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival 2011.
- Viki Gomez at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival 2011.
- Dominik Nekolny at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival 2011.
- Matthias Dandois at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival 2011.
- Franciso Jimenez at the LKXA Barcelona Extreme festival 2011.
- Dennis Enarson at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Daniel Dhers at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Garrett Reynolds at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Brett Banasiewicz at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Ben Wallace at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Gary Young at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Dean Cueson at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Michael Beran at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Ryan Nyquist at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Mike Spinner at the Movistar Barcelona Extreme festival 2010.
- Some more…
- Carlos Garcia Amateur Rider with different national sponsors.
- Miquel Bautista of the team 1080 skateboard.
- Adrià Solis who skates for DRX.
- Ismael Laga with local skateboard sponsors.
- Albert Furnieles with local skateboard sponsors.
- Some more…
Tips for BMX photos:
Some of the things that I can recommend you regarding the BMX photography are the following:
Make BMX photo sessions whenever you can:
Try as much as possible to conduct training sessions with riders, regardless of the level they have, that will make you win in experience. Intuitively, you will begin to look for good angles for your BMX photos and little by little you will unconsciously improve your sports photography.
Your well composed BMX photos:
The composition of a photograph, be it skate, bmx or a simple bush always improves our visual interest in photography . Always bear in mind that a well-composed photo is worth 1.2, then other factors influence, but without a doubt, the composition will help you get good BMX photos. I recommend the same for any other type of photography.
Take more and more photos:
Unless you’re in love with analog photography and upload it everywhere, take pictures, it’s no joke if I tell you that when I do a BMX photo shoot at least I bring home 400 or more photos, if it’s a competition, it would not be the first time I’ve filled more than 12 Gb with sports photos.
Repeat the spot, repeat the photograph:
This is very simple, no matter how good observer you are, you will always see different angles each time you go to a spot, the light conditions change radically in minutes, and of course they also change if you change day, do your sessions in places where you know , repeat the site, your BMX photos will improve in each session.
Avoid the photos at noon:
At noon, the incidence of light on the rider will be totally vertical, which will generate excessive contrast in your photos, with annoying deep shadows and probably without detail, if you go to the other extreme, you will lose detail in the lights. Avoid the pictures at noon, my favorite sessions are always mid afternoon.
Use the flash:
Even if you only have the flash pop-up of your camera, use it whenever you can, obviously if you are taking pictures in burst mode you will limit your shots to the charge of the flash, the ideal is to work with external flashes and use them whenever we can.
Doubts about BMX photos?
But…. You have doubts? Do you want to comment something? Use the comments to contribute your bit to this post of BMX photography , I make these articles with the intention of being participatory.
And here’s the article BMX photographer- Sports photography sessions in Barcelona .
Regards and until next time!