A fundraiser has been launched for a Dublin family after a fire caused by a charging phone destroyed their home.
Comedian and musician Steve Mangan returned home from work during his lunch break on Wednesday February 9 to find his family home was on fire.
“I opened the door and just smoked,” he told SundayWorld.com
Steven and his wife Sinéad live at home with their 12-year-old daughter, Saoirse.
Forensic investigators told the family less than a week later after the incident that the source of the fire was a cellphone left on charge in one of the bedrooms.
“Half the house was destroyed by smoke and the other half by fire and water,” Steven explained.
The family have only recently completed renovations to their north Dublin home before Christmas.
Now the family face hefty bills to repair their home in Darndale after an unfortunate lapse left their home uninsured.
“Our home insurance was due to be renewed last December, but I was out of work so it lasted.”
“The house is habitable, it’s boarded up,” says Steven.
“There is no gas or electricity, so we live in a hotel and the mortgage still needs to be paid.”
“We need to repair the house and replace what we have lost, we are looking at costs of €60,000-80,000.”
The family also lost most of their belongings, but fortunately no one was injured in the fire.
“What was not burned was destroyed by smoke or water.”
A GoFundMe was created by a friend of the family to help them get back on their feet.
“We are trying to get over the shock, hopefully by this weekend we will have a better plan in place.”
As the family tries to come to terms with what happened, they focus on the future and return home.
“We hope to make our house habitable again so that we can return there.”