Most smartphones, whether Android or iOS, can act as a torch thanks to the built-in flash. The feature comes in handy during power outages or if you’re looking for something in a dark environment. There are many options to turn flashlight on/off on Android mobile phone or iPhone. Also, to make your life easier, there are third-party apps you can download to use the flashlight. In this article, we will show you different ways to turn on the flashlight on your smartphone.
How to turn on the flashlight on an Android mobile phone
This is how you can turn flashlight on/off on Android mobile phone
1. Using Quick Settings
- Turn on your phone.
- From your lock screen or home screen, just swipe down to access the quick settings panel.
- There you will see a flashlight icon. Press it.
- Your phone’s flashlight will be on. Simply press again to turn off the flashlight. That’s it!
- Keep in mind that the flash can be disabled every time you open your camera because it needs access to the flash module.
2. Using OEM shortcuts and gestures (Samsung, OnePlus, Motorola and more)
Many OEMs provide hotkeys for turning the flashlight on/off. If you have a Samsung, Motorola, and OnePlus device, here is the shortcut you can use for the flashlight:
On Samsung devices, follow these steps (One UI and later only)
- Go to the Settings app.
- Swipe down and click Advanced Features.
- Press the side key
- From the Double Press menu, tap Open App
- Select Torch.
- You can now double tap your power key to activate your flashlight. Press the power key once to turn it off. That’s it!
On OnePlus smartphones, you can enable off-screen gestures to turn on/off the flashlight
- Go to the settings app.
- Swipe down and tap Buttons and gestures. Here you can see the alert slider, navigation bar, and gestures, as well as quick gesture options.
- Tap quick gestures. You should be able to see the system gestures and the off-screen gestures section. Access the gestures screen.
- Tap one of the Draw O/Draw V/Draw S/Draw M/Draw W settings.
- Choose the option as a flashlight.
- Now put your phone to sleep. Whenever you want to activate the flashlight, just draw one of the letters when the phone is in standby mode, even with the display still on, the flashlight will turn on. Press the power key to turn it off. That’s it!
Motorola has a cool feature called double hash to open flashlight. It is also known as rapid flash. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Moto app in your app drawer.
- Now scroll down to Moto Actions and tap on it.
- You should now be able to see the quick torch. Activate it.
- Now whenever your phone is in sleep mode, just shake your phone twice and the flashlight will be activated. Repeat the movement again to turn it off. That’s it!
3. Using Button Remapper
Now, if you have a Nokia phone or a budget Motorola phone, you must have an additional key to use as a Google Assistant. But what if you want to remap it to another function? You can just do that!
- Download and install Button Mapper from the Play Store.
- Open the app and grant permissions in Accessibility settings.
- After giving the required permissions, you will be greeted with options to remap your buttons.
- Tap Add Buttons. And tap the plus sign in the lower right corner.
- Once your key is detected, press it. Your button is now added.
- Go to the previous menu, press the new button detected and activate the personalization
- Now press Single Tap.
- Scroll down until you see “toggle flashlight” and tap it.
- Now your shortcut should be activated. Just press your accessory key and it should turn on the flashlight. Press again to turn it off.
- You can even remap the power/volume keys on other smartphones if you don’t have an extra key.
4. Use Double Tap on the back of your mobile
Now you can even use the back of your phone to activate your flashlight!
- Download Tap Tap from the link here.
- Follow the setup process.
- After the initial setup is complete, turn off battery optimization as instructed in the app.
- Now tap on Double Tap Actions and tap on Add Action.
- Tap on Utilities.
- Tap Flashlight.
- Now you will need to grant the view over other apps permission and the camera permission. After granting these permissions, reposition the gesture by dragging it up.
- Now double tap the back of your device and the flashlight should turn on. Double tap again to turn off the flashlight.
5. Use the Google Assistant
The last method is probably the easiest. Just use Google Assistant.
- Summon the Google Assistant by pressing and holding the power key or saying the magic words “Hey Google”.
- As soon as the wizard appears, say “Turn on the flashlight”.
- Now your phone’s flashlight should be on.
- Summon Google Assistant again and say “Turn off the flashlight” to turn off the flashlight. That’s it!
How to turn on the flashlight on iPhone
Now that we’ve covered the Android section, let’s move on to iOS.
1. From the lock screen
This is the easiest way to turn on the flashlight. On your lock screen you should be able to see the flash icon on the bottom left, long press the icon until you feel the phone vibrate, and as soon as you release it the flash will turn on. Long press and release the icon again to turn off the flashlight on iPhone.
2. Using the Control Center
- If you’re on the home screen, just swipe down from the top right corner to access the control center. Tap the torch icon to turn on the flashlight (tap again to turn it off)
- If you want to change the intensity of your flashlight, just hold the flashlight icon until it appears in intensity mode. Now swipe up and down on the intensity you want the flashlight to work.
3. Using the Back Tap Gesture
iPhones running iOS 15 allow you to turn the flashlight on/off using the back gesture. Here’s how it works:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap Touch.
- Tap Back Tap at the bottom of the page.
- Press Press twice.
- Tap Flashlight in the options.
- You can now double tap the back of your iPhone screen to turn on your flashlight and double tap it to turn off the flashlight.
This shortcut allows you to quickly turn on/off your iPhone’s flashlight without waking up the screen.
4. Use Siri
This is another easy option to enable flashlight on iPhone.
- On your iPhone, summon Siri by pressing the power/home button or simply saying “Hey Siri”
- Say the following: “Turn on the flashlight”.
- Now your iPhone flashlight should be on.
- Summon Siri again and say “Turn off the flashlight”. The flashlight must be off.