For the ninth year in a row, UNM’s Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) are teaming up to host an app creation competition to encourage innovation. It is open to all students with cash prizes for the winners.
“I continue to be thrilled with the incredible success of this competition and look forward to what the new year has in store for us,” said Duane Arruti, UNM’s chief information officer. “I am always amazed at the innovation we see from the students of UNM and CNM in this competition. Mobile apps are an integral and important part of our daily existence and continue to improve the lives of UNM students, as well as the community at large.
This year’s mobile apps competition offers support to UNM students interested in coding and marketing apps. Students will work with expert mentors and community coding meetups.
Registration is open now until October 31, 2021. Click here to register.
UNM and CNM will encourage the use of open datasets in this competition, which can make the apps more engaging and the experience more authentic. Data sets available include UNM events, data on class schedules, campus locations, Route 66 images, bike lanes, local business listings, and more.
The top 3 coding groups will win cash prizes – $ 5,000 for first place, $ 2,500 for second place and $ 1,000 for third place. Honorable mentions can also be considered.
General overview of the competition:
- Sign up to participate and receive updates.
- Develop your idea. The competition is open to individuals or teams.
- Code, test, review, plan, rehearse.
- Check In, periodic questions / answers, virtual workshops / meetups.
- Submit Adobe XD plan for additional, optional credit.
- Finalize the documents to be submitted.
- Submit the final project.
- Record a video of your demo.
- Finalists Meet the IT team to refine your pitch and review your video.
- Attend the presentation day and awards ceremony (which can be a virtual event or a hybrid in-person / virtual event, TBD).
The rules are listed in the app contest rules, the schedule can be viewed in the app contest calendar and the app contest resources. Those who wish to request more information can send an email to [email protected]